Press Wheel Kits
Press Wheels Kits improve potato planters’ placement accuracy by capturing the seed immediately after being released by the planter. The seed is absorbed by the soft surface of the press wheel and held stationary against the ground long enough to remove its forward movement. This process also tucks soil around the sides of each seed piece (photo of seed & video of tucked seed, closing disc removed) which prevents seed from moving when the soil is pushed back to close furrow by coulters, etc.
Press Wheel kits became commercially available in 2019 and are currently offered for Grimmme, Spudnik, and Harriston brands of potato planters.
Allan Equipment Manufacturers Ltd. (AEML) manufactures and distributes the Press Wheel Kits.
Seed Sensing Technology
Bluefield Seeding Solutions has introduced its new patented Seed Sensing Technology (SST) utilizing existing Press Wheel systems that improve plant spacing uniformity, while featuring enhanced press wheels that sense the contact with each seed piece while it’s being locked in place by the press wheels during planting. This gives the operator real time feedback of the actual seed placement on a per row basis for the most recent 200 seed placements, allowing the farmer to maximize planter performance and planting speed, no matter the conditions.
The Seeding Data recorded is: both total and per row data for total planted, number of ideal placements, number of less than ideal placements, number of misses, and number of doubles on a per planter pass and per field basis.
Operators will know – precisely – where every set is placed, creating the
opportunity for greater efficiencies, productivity and better overall financial results throughout the field.
NEW FEATURES! Adjustable miss alarm triggered by 5-30 consecutive misses; Two stage wheel speed alarm for earlier slip detection; Average spacing value for each row, based on last 200 placements.
Our Seed Sensing Technology Will:
- Deliver real-time feedback of average seed spacing and planter’s actual performance, allowing assessment and corrective action.
- Allow farm managers to monitor planters performance remotely in real time via BSSI’s mobile app.
- Automatically upload all seeding information to a secure online storage platform where farmers can access their data at any time.
- Accumulate all seeding data for each field or seed lot: total planted, total seed weight, doubles, misses, less than ideal, and ideally planted seed.
- Allow for more efficient land use, minimizing plant footprints and enabling better use of crop inputs.
- Monitor the seeding rate (cwt/ac) and average seed spacing in real time.
- Eliminate digging behind planter to evaluate performance.
- Includes rechargeable batteries that are installed inside each Press Wheel. The batteries are easily accessible and have enough capacity to run for one full planting season on a single charge.
BSSI was built on the farm value of hard work and the knowledge that time is a precious commodity – especially in the spring during planting season. The user interface was designed by a farmer for farmers and requires as little input from the operator as possible while still allowing detail-oriented operators to capture important planting information including farm and field names, seed variety, seedlot and seed weight for each field.
The Seed Sensing Technology is commercially available for the 2023 planting season. Planters with existing Press Wheel Systems can be easily upgraded by replacing the existing wheels and installing a wireless network access point on the planter and a monitor in the tractor cab. The Seed Sensing Systems are manufactured, assembled and tested by the BSSI team before being installed into Press Wheels at the Allan Equipment Manufacturers Ltd (AEML) manufacturing facility.
Limited supply for the 2023!